Born on August 16, 1929 in Multan, now in Pakistan. Started medical education at Lahore Medical College, Lahore. After partition, he continued medical educaton in Madras Medical College,Madras, and completed MB BS in 1952.
Later on he continued education at Royal College of Physicians, London and passed MRCP (London) in first attempt in 1956, and thereafter residency at Hammersmith Hospital, London, till 1958 when he joined AIIMS as Registrar in Medicine.
He was promoted as Associate Professor of Medicine in 1963. He became Head of the Department of Medicine in 1969 amd continued till October 1982. Due to separation of the Department of Medicine, he opted to head the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism from November 1982 onwards till his retirement in August 1989.
In 1985, he started D.M. Endocrinology course at the Institute. He was awarded supernumberary Professor's post for two years, because of being awarded Nehru Fellowship, on which post he continued till August, 1991.
After retirement, he joined Sitaram Bhartiya Institute of Medical Education and Research and worked there till his last.
He was awarded Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians, London in 1981, and was also awarded the prestigious B.C. Roy award for Medical Research in 1982. He was also recipient of number of WHO Fellowships, AIIMS-New Zealand Exchange Programme, etc.
He published more than 150 original articles and written 7 high standard books which are used by post graduates in Medicine, Endocrinology and Diabetes.
He was expert in various examinations and selections of UPSC, NBE, ICMR, CSIR, DST and number of Universities and public examination boards.
He survives his wife, Dr. Meera Ahuja, daughter Ms. Sumati, and one son Mr. Vikas. He started the Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India, in 1972 for advancement of diabetes in India. It celebrated its Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1997. He was awarded ` Padma Shree' in 1993.
Dean, AIIMS 1988-1989
Physician to Dr. R. Venkataraman, President of India.
Alumni Association of Madras Medical College